Saturday 8 April 2017

How To Make Traditional Easter Egg Decorations


I've been wanting to use gesso to add ornate decoration to blown-out eggshells for some time now, but somehow never got round to it. Last Sunday I saw a gap in my time schedule and seized the moment.




HOW I DID THIS

I already had the blown-out eggshells, so that saved me some time. Afraid of crushing the hollow shells, I stuck a large needle through both the existing holes and used Blu Tack to hold it in place. This provided me with a small handle enabling me to effortlessly add a few doodles with a pencil.


{See MATERIAL LIST at the bottom of this post}




Next, I started to apply gesso decorations in low relief. I used the same recipe and methods we used to create the decoration on the Italian Style Mirror Frame in the FARRAGOZ Patina PROJECTS Course.




It needed a few hours to dry so I had to abandon my little project until the next day when I painted the details with homemade gold paint.




After the gold paint had dried, it was time to add a resist and then it was ready to be painted with white casein paint. Finally, all it needed was some distressing and to be sealed.




So, to sum up ...


MATERIAL LIST

1. Blown-out eggshells
2. Large needle or piece of wire
3. Blu Tack
4. Pencil
5. Gesso ~ Recipe and methods from FARRAGOZ Patina PROJECTS Course
6. Gold tempera ~ Recipe from FARRAGOZ Online Courses
7. Casein paint ~ Recipe from FARRAGOZ Online Courses
8. Paintbrush
9. Polish


HOW TO

1. Create handle
2. Draw design
3. Apply gesso ~ Following instructions in FARRAGOZ Patina PROJECTS Course
4. Paint gold details
5. Paint white 
6. Distress and polish




I was absolutely thrilled with my new Easter decorations and in complete Easter-decorating-mode by the end of it, so I just kept going.




I had lots more of these empty white eggshells in different sizes and merely added them to other existing displays.











My collection of Easter eggs grows every year and I'm over the moon with what I've added this year. I already have some ideas for next year's Easter, but for now, I'm just enjoying the new additions.


Happy Easter & Happy Painting!

Tania

xxx





This post was shared with:
Dishing It & Digging It
Sundays at Home
Waste Not Wednesday

#patina #paint #ornaments #distressedpaint #paintcourse #onlinecourse #paintfinishes #farragoz #furniturefinish #wornpaint #whitepaint #chalkypaint #homemadepaint #goldpaint #antiqueing #easter #eastereggs #eastervignette #vintageeaster #eastertable #paintedfurniture #goldandwhite #shabbychic #frenchstyle #painting #classes #paintingclasses #paintinglessons #paintingtutorials #courses #paintingcourses #traditionalcrafts #crafts

No comments:

Post a Comment